engineers biggest issues and wishes 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

IoanaP

Computer
Feb 10, 2020
RO

Hello everyone,

As an engineer, what are the two biggest issues you’re dealing with?

In terms of career, what’s your biggest wish?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would argue that your product-definition process has failed miserably if management needs to make a decision mid-project as to the scope of work. Every project should start with a requirements doc that's based on a risk assessment, which then gets translated into a Gantt chart to define the work, schedule, and costs involved. You're done when the requirements are met, no more, no less.

This assumes 100% effectiveness at each pass (no recycling) ; however is it not that the later the rework/fixtures are done the more costly it becomes?

I work for a subcontract CNC Turning company. I really enjoy it but one of the biggest challenges facing this industry is the skill shortage. This is a big problem as a lot of skilled engineers are approaching retirement age and there doesn’t seem to be enough youth coming through the ranks.

Two biggest issues:

Oblivious young people. To them it's all about models and number crunching. Drawings and specs are irrelevant. I tell them to study bridge plans to understand what's going on but it goes in ear and out the other. I tell them a contractor only wants three things from us: 1)what do you want me to build; 2)how do I get paid for it; and 3)don't ask me to read your mind. They think I'm joking.

Disinterested management. My boss doesn't want to know anything about what we're working on. There are some weeks if we exchange 10 words that's a lot. All he cares about is staying on the good side of the people above him. They're even less interested in things than he is.

Biggest wish:

I second the motion![thumbsup2]

859 calendar days to go, Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, as they say, but who's counting.[lol]

rotw said:
Bad or good, its a rational move. The country is spending significant money to sustain incoming migrants. On the other hand, migrants are bringing inflow of money AND provide a readily available and sustained labor workforce to jobs that do not require special qualifications (long-haul truck drivers, front desk hotel managers, executive housekeepers, industrial butchers and meat cutters, food and beverage servers, farm-workers, livestock workers, etc.). All said and done, if the current policy was at economical disadvantage for Canada, be sure that the decision makers would have stopped it immediately.
Media/news tend to focus on few success stories. The truth is that the most majority of skilled professionals are becoming deluded.

The current policy isn't really coherent - the provinces control licensure for engineering and the training of engineering students, the federal government largely controls the mix of immigrants and the entrance of engineers. It's not a coherent policy.

IRstuff, 80% calcs on Feb 24:
I wasn't observing people coming back and catching up what was incomplete from the previous round. I was thinking more of they left off 20% of the job the first time because they didn't appreciate the value of completing the minority features, they can take more effort. Then they did an update and left off more features because they had become the new minority 20%.

The disproportionate cost point is valid but how well the product performs all the tasks the customer expects of it counts too. If a multi-bit screw driver has 6 bits but one is only used 5% of the time a bean counter could drop that 6th bit. But if I have to buy a second screwdriver for 5% of my work I'm going to drop the bean counter's company :) .

Bill

Biggest issues: Excess paperwork and ambiguously written regulatory standards, the former caused by the latter. Who has time to re-do everything in this day and age?
Biggest wish: God willing, retirement in early 2021, I am super stoked about it.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

Being an engineer you are always keen on learning and implementing the technical knowledge and often overlook the people skills(soft skills). Soft skills are rather more important when it comes to doing well in career irrespective of the profession or the stream you work in.

I think most engineers face these issues during their initial years in the field i.e. building a strong network of people and getting the work done. Hence, engineers would wish to bring soft skills into project management practices to get a better hang of working collaboratively with others.

After all it's all about bringing your best to the table, and enabling others to do the same!

Biggest issue? Standards (and laws) written by ivory-tower people who have no clue about the real world implications of what they're writing and how to implement what they're writing in the real world.

BrianPeterson said:
Biggest issue? Standards (and laws) written by ivory-tower people who have no clue about the real world implications of what they're writing and how to implement what they're writing in the real world.

That's rather vague. Do you have examples?
There is a big difference between standards and Laws.

There is a big difference between standards and Laws.

Like many other things in life, it depends on who you are speaking with. Legally regulated min/max limits are commonly referred to as "standards" in industry, ie engine emissions standards or standard of care. In the military, unless you comply with regulation you're also not "meeting the standard."

Emissions standards are my personal favorite when discussing the aforementioned ivory-tower crowd as standards have been a negative quadratic for 52 years now, and are about to make a big leap into negative territory.

CWB1 said:
Emissions standards are my personal favorite when discussing the aforementioned ivory-tower crowd as standards have been a negative quadratic for 52 years now, and are about to make a big leap into negative territory.

That's rather vague. Do you have examples?

I'm curious how 52-years was proven to be the "negative quadratic" time span. Also, what a "big leap into negative territory" means in this case, since the negative quadratic has already been established....

Curious

The Clean Air Act went into effect stateside with 1968MY vehicles, hence 52 years of vehicle emissions limits imposed. Every few years we have been forced to take a bigger leap toward zero-emissions, hence a graph of emissions vs time showing a negative quadratic (an "upside-down" parabola as some students say). If you follow the trend, in the next few years we will have engines producing negative (less than zero) emissions.

Future implications of that example aside, the trend itself is simply illogical, hence why its a favorite example in discussion of the ivory-tower govt/academic crowd.

Would you rather have children suffer with asthma and coughing their lungs out while they run around in Stage 2 smog? It literally sucked, and not being about to see an 8-story school library from 2 blocks away because of the smog is not a student-friendly learning environment.

Despite whatever the individual car emissions might be, their aggregate across the US continues to increase year by year.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Hi @IoanaP when I mentioned soft skills essential for an engineer, I meant leadership skills and being a team player who values efforts and inputs from other members, creative thinking, emotional intelligence(EQ) and effective communication. The response to this thread is quite interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back