Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engineers turned Brewmasters 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shirsch

Civil/Environmental
Dec 23, 2008
US
I have been homebrewing for 2 years now. During this time I have noticed a remarkable correlation between engineers and homebrewers. The science behind brewing seems very appealing to the engineering type and it is indeed a great hobby. Naturally, every homebrewer has thought about opening his own brewery at some point. Does anyone know anyone or have examples of engineers turned brewmasters?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Surely you have had the urge to start a brewery. Have you ever given it any real consideration? I am a young engineer who just got my PE, but I am not sure that this is what I want to do the rest of my life. I enjoy the project management and business development side of my consulting work, but my title as staff engineer leaves me daydreaming about brewing all the time. Any advice?

Just my opinion, but I don't think engineers brew their own beer because "the science is appealing". I think they like to drink beer, but don't like to pay much for it. Mike?

I've tried my hand at a few batches of beer, but I haven't yet mastered it. I'd really like to make a few gallons of whisky, but I haven't found a way around the pesky federal government. I have to agree with Hokie66's assessment for the most part. I'll add that there is something innately satisfying about creating such a useful product.

A lot of people like beer, but not many people brew there own. My point was that of the homebrewers I know, engineering is the most common profession by far.

Making whiskey requires a still, which is a pretty serious equipment commitment. I don't think the gov would mind you making some booze as long as you're not selling it.

Sorry Shirsch. From the ATF's website: "You cannot produce spirits for beverage purposes without paying taxes and without prior approval of paperwork to operate a distilled spirits plant." It's my understanding that we were not even allowed to brew beer until Jimmy Carter made it legal in the late 70s. (I'm not doing any math Mike)

Maybe there are more engineer brewers because we realize that products are actually designed and produced. Bridges don't just appear where needed. Buildings don't just grow out of the ground. Beer doesn't just appear on the grocery store shelves. It seems that this notion is lost on most of society.

StompingGuy:

Oh, believe me I understand. I understand so well that I have trained others in the art of brewing. I have 8 grandkids and one in the vat.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

A friend and fellow engineer was a QE for a local medical devices manufacturer. After a painful divorce and his employer laying him off, he spent some time as "assistant brewmaster" in a somewhat touristy brew pub. It was fun, but the pay was low, and the work was "when and if", the demand being set by how much the pub could sell.

I used to syphon off my Dad's home-made wine into a plastic bottle and stick it in the bottom of the freezer. Then I'd let the alcohol melt into a jug, leaving mainly water behind. School holidays...

- Steve

For an example of Engineers turned brewmasters, check out Wachusetts brewery (go to website). A couple of Engineers from the local technical university who started their own company. It has been a succesful enterprise.

I like making my own beer and it is fun, but I could not see doing it for a living.

As for the a stil we all know what it takes to make one it is just the time and the law that stops most of us.

Chris

PS I am always looking for new beers to make.

"In this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics." Homer Simpson

Upon returning from Christmas vacation a coworker started describing the beer kit he got for Christmas. We discussed it for a while and decided to brew and trade beers. News travels quick, and we now have 10 guys in an office of 40 that are brewing away. That is 1/3 of the engineers (counting interns). Most of those brewing have brewed before. We are going to have a homebrew celebration on the first day of Spring.

We had a home brew festival at work a few years ago. The next day there were railings put across the sides of the foot-bridge between work and the town. Several of our guys have inadvertently taken the plunge on their walk home.

- Steve

many years ago I worked with a designer who commercialized a home brewing kit, an all in one device akin to the breadmakers now available. It was succesful enough he and his partners started a brewery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back