Engineers with MBAs 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziggi

Mechanical
Mar 11, 2005
CA
Hey all,
I'm a young mechanical engineer just under 3 yrs out of univ. I am seriously considering returning to univ for an MBA, preferably in international business, investments or entrepreneurship. I don't really plan on doing hard sums engineering, I really like project management or investing though.

I've got a few questions,
1) Has anyone out there got their MBA and their engineering degree?
2) Is it worth the time and money to get one?
What sort of jobs are out there for engineers with MBAs?
3) Does the name of the school count for anything?
4) Am I just better off, forgetting about the official education and just learning the stuff myself?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was considering an MBA until I found out the local university wanted me to take 18 hrs of background [shocked] to even enroll in their program. I think I'll work a bit longer.

I thought I would chime in because I am currently enrolled in my MBA coursework and work full time as a mechanical engineer.

I am working roughly 50 hours per week at my job, and the MBA is taking another 40 hours per week on average. I have realized that I am sacrificing all of my free time and it is a real commitment to get everything done. I am going to a local university and the company is paying my way. The big name would have been nice, but it wasn't plausible for me to move (south west Florida).

The biggest benefit is the networking with current students, outside of the classwork. I definitely think it is worth it, as I am learning how managers go about doing their job. I see engineering and managing as polar opposites, from my experince. I had about 8 years of experience working before going back to school. I have plenty of real-life stories for the pipe-liners (great term!), and the young ones are a refreshing viewpoint to see where my progress has taken me.

So, to sum up all this rambling, let me say this: Yes, it's worth it because it's a different discipline, the networking of local peers gives good counsel, and the challenge of school is a welcome break from the every day routine for me. I don't know if this will give me a better-paying job, but that isn't my goal anyway. If this is your motivation for more schooling, don't do it yet because you are not ready.

Hope this helps...

I started my MBA in 1995 a couple of years after finishing my BSME. I took it easy for the first 5 years; one class per semester and occationally took the summer off. I buckled down in the end as we got in a family way and finished in 2002.

Any illusions I had regarding a dramatic change in my career at that point were crushed. 2002 was a bad time to be looking for a job change much less a career change. I ended up staying with my current employer, the one that paid for the degree.

The company has heard my complaints that I want to use the knowledge acquired in my studies. However, because I am in an engineering department they do no know what to do with me. Further, people outside my department do not think engineers are capable of anything other than engineering. Perhaps an MBA will open more doors for me in the future but this is unknown.

Summary:
1) I like what I learned in the MBA program and feel that it was worth my time.
2) I am disappointed that the "consumers" of my services do not understand how my skill set was changed.

Background:
I am in automotive powertrain with more than ten years experience. I have had one international posting and speak fluent German. I am not a manager but preffer management as a career path over technical engineering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back