Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Enterprise Resource Planning System part number description standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

kreker

Mechanical
Nov 4, 2004
US
My company is in the process of implementing an ERP system and we need to develop a standard for the descriptions of all our parts. I know there is an ANSI standard out there somewhere but I'm having trouble finding it. Can anyone direct me in the right direction. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

kreker,

We all use excerpts from ANSI, ASME, IEEE, what have you.

If you are developing an ERP system, and use a "pirated" copy, or copy without permission from ANSI, or any copyright holder, for your ERP system, you may be violating copyright laws on the various materials.

ANSI may not come after me is I quote a few paragraphs. If my rather large company is copying ANSI copyright materials into a database, they may come after the company. Similar to microsoft going after companies with pirated software, but not every individual user.

You may wish to purchase a copy of ANSI standards from ANSI for this type of use. Just a thought. [idea]

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Thanks for the replies We are actually not developing the software in house we are just implementing it. What I'm looking for is a standard in how we describe our parts (ie, "bearing, roller, 2x3", or "HHCS, 1/4-20 X 1.5"). If we have to purchase the ANSI standard we will do that but mostly I'm interested in which standard it is, ie B18-....? Thanks in advance for your replies!

--Kevin

You might also want to check what your drawings from engineering/purchasing have as titles. I'd hate to see your ERP system populated with great titles that caused the creation of a massive engineering change order to modify all existing drawings... unless that is the intent.

[green]"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."[/green]
Steven K. Roberts, Technomad
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

MadMango,

Thanks for the reply. It's actually funny that you mention drawings because our current ERP system titles do not always match the drawings right now so once I have a standard I may need to learn how to write a lisp routine to update all title blocks, etc. to make them match. Not quite sure yet what the best option is.

I am not aware that ANSI has a standard on "description" of stuff. Descriptions typically vary, in my case, from project to project.

Maybe the mechanical guys can shed more light since they read ANSI standards much more than I.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

There is ASME Y14.100-2000, Section 5, Drawing Titles. Again, mostly for drawing titles, not ERP nomenclatures. It basically states that titles should be formatted as:

Base Name (noun, compund noun or noun phrase), Modifier (as many as required to distinguish between items with the same base name.

Don't use "or" or "for" in titles.

The best thing to consider is to try to think of titles as search terms. Say I'm looking for a M5 flat washer. I would list the title as WASHER, FLT, M5 in our ERP system. But what we have is WASHER, FLT, .396ODx.210IDx.07THK. That's a pain.

[green]"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."[/green]
Steven K. Roberts, Technomad
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back