Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Entrainer for THF/Water distillation

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdev

Chemical
Jan 28, 2002
IE
I am looking for an entrainer to separate THF and water. I am aware that Pentane is used in certain applications however we are looking for an alternative entrainer. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you mean Tetrahydrofuran? Is one species
minimal (say less than 10%) or are they about
the same? Do you want to recover the water or can it be wasted? If mixture is mostly THF then passing it through salt (NaCl) will make a THF layer that is about
2.5% water (The bottom layer is salt water.)
I suppose you mean that pentane would entrain
THF in the top layer of a decanter. I have experience using toluene (more toxic than pentane however).
I would imagine that THF would prefer many organics over water.

Sorry for my delayed comment. It happens that I adhered to the Eng-Tip forums only of late.

One technical book says that THF and water form an azeotrope with composition sensitive to pressure. So they can be effectively separated in a two-stripping column system operating at two pressures: the atmospheric, taking water as a bottom product using stripping steam as heating medium. The condensed overhead stream from this tower, serves part as reflux, the remainder is sent to the middle section of a pressure tower heated with a reboiler. The bottom stream of this column is pure THF, the top stream is condensed. Part of it is used as reflux and part re-sent to the original blend of THF and water. The pressure tower works at about 7.5 atm.
Although not exactly satisfying your request, I hope this message helps.

A good alternative to the pressure swing distillation will be a combination of a distillation and vapour permeation (pervaporation). At atm. Pressure the azeotrope will be around 94% THF / 6% Water.
90% (10% Water) can be reached with a simple distillation. The dehydration from 90% up to 99.5% is easy by pervaporation.
a general info is available under:
Sites/products_services/pervap.html
Feel free to ask for more info or sizing details.
pierre.strauch@sulzer.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back