Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Entry Level Engineer with well rounded background 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mototank

Electrical
Sep 20, 2010
Hello All-
I would like to once again thank everyone here who posts and shares their advice, insight, and experience...a truly impressive and helpful site.

I have been working at my current job for the past 18 months, and took the job with the understanding that my salary was that of an entry level engineer, $60K. And while it is true, that this is my first detailed design engineering job since graduating in 2007, I spent several years before, during, and after college in more of a construction management position that I think think brings a lot more to the table than a newly graduated college student might be able to in terms of working with both internal and external employees and customers.

While I am not the worlds best Electrical Design Engineer, and I am aware of this, and trying to find a better fit for me within the company, I have learned a lot in the last 18 months and trying to be as useful and profitable for the company as possible. Last year I got the company standard 3% raise, and at this point I don't see them offering much more this year. I have my 2 year review in July, and would like to push for a more substantial raise.

My question to the forum is, am I being unreasonable to ask for a significant raise, based on the fact that I have been with the company for 2 years, bring minimal Electrical Engineering experience, but have many skills that many Electrical Engineers might not be able to bring to the table in terms of mechanical abilities and communication.
Or, is this just part of what happens when you switch career paths?

Should my salary be just based on my Electrical Engineering abilities, or should other skills, that may not be part of the job description, be accounted for as well?

thank you for your insights!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OP, You don't have the skills yet to be successful as an engineer. You've already stated that. Work on it. Right now, you do sound entitled.. because you're looking for money that might be available, and not focused on EARNING it.

cvg said:
A lot of entry level engineers are unemployed. You should be happy that you are
a)getting paid at what appears to be a high level for your experience and
b)working full time
c)expecting another raise this year

That's the God's honest truth right there! Spent a year waiting to fill one of MANY entry level engineering job positions for the city that I was well qualified for (also have veteran preference) and STILL didn't get hired. But then again they didn't hire any entry level engineers from my understanding. Luckily I finally got my first engineering job coming along and it is a once in a life time opportunity that to say the least is a bit over my head. But as they say with great risk comes great rewards.

Your getting a raise. To ask for a bigger raise you best have some good proof that you are doing better than they would expect. It's hard to have a company give you a raise if you were to leave the company and you couldn't find a job that pays better. Your company may be doing good but if your competition/field is doing bad then it can also effect you not getting a raise, excuse me, a BIGGER raise. The raise is to keep you from leaving your job. If you can't get paid higher else where then why would you leave them then? It's not the sole reason to get or not get a raise but thinking about that aspect too when figuring out if you want to push for a bigger raise.

Architects and engineers are among the most fortunate of men since they build their own monuments with public consent, public approval and often public money.
- John Prebble -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back