Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Entry Level SW people

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadnutcase

Mechanical
Apr 27, 2005
US
Anybody know a good place to find entry level solidworks people in Houston. I called the local ITT office and the local community colleges and they don't teach Solidworks anymore or never did. I was hoping to give a young aspiring person a start in the fabulous career of drafting/design, but am having a hard time finding that person.

My VAR usually only trains people who already have a job. Any ideas. I am going to try the local user group next.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you tried looking outside Houston? There must be someone that would fit your needs and is willing to relocate.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 05
AutoCAD 05
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

I thought about that, but the position is something I couldn't honestly promise somebody work a year from now.
Plus I never like relocating anybody, because what if a month into it they turn out to be not the person your looking for.

I haven't tried putting an ad on monster or in the newspaper yet. That would be my last step.

I also know that my company wouldn't pay relocation expenses for somebody at this level.

Can you afford to give them the time to go through the tutorials? Anyone with Autocad experience or any other solid modeling program can learn it. Heck, this 60 year old duffer learned it without any trainning, and I'm not supposed to be capable of learning new things.

Have you tried the local high schools? They might not have 3D classes (yet), but if they have a board drafting or AutoCAD drafting class, you may be able to get a part-timer (full time during the summer) that would be very trainable.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

cadnutcase,

When you say you need an "entry level" SolidWorks person, you imply that SolidWorks is the hardest thing they are going to have to deal with. It sounds like your mechanical design and drafting are dead easy. If it wasn't for that damn SolidWorks, perhaps you could train your grandmother's cat to do it.

Unless I were hiring a plug-n-play for a two week contract, I would be looking for someone with mechanical aptitude, drafting skills, some level of engineering training, and good communication skills, including the reading and writing needed to read the manual.

JHG

drawoh,

Sure I would love to have somebody with all those skills, but how do people get those skills? They have to start somewhere. The way I look at is this.

Many moons ago an engineering firm hired me to help them out, on this assigment I learned many things, how parts fit together, how to do a proper drawing, how to research the questions I have on my own. It even went as far as what people to not bother with questions until after they had their first two cups of coffee. These are all comments that you don't learn in school, I don't care what school it is.

Many people throught the years have taken time out of their busy schedule to help me learn and grow. I in turn would like to return the favor as I move from the younger generation to the older generation.

Everyone may disargree with me on this, but I have found it very hard for people to learn a cad program and proper drafting/design skills at the same time. Usually one ends up suffering. If I can find somebody who already has been exposed to solidworks in some form or another, in my book I don't have to teach them two completely different subjects at the same time.

My 2 cents
cadnutcase

MadMango had a good suggestion. Try the schools (HS & JC).
IMO, knowing basic drafting, having drawing skills and understanding PC's file structure...makes a good & efficient CAD operator

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 05
AutoCAD 05
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back