Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EP oil and bronze gears 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

flu28

Mechanical
Mar 12, 2008
Is it safe to use EP mineral-based oils with bronze gears (specifically worm gears)? I know that corrosion is a concern but a colleague told me that the latest EP oils have an additive that resolves this issue. Is this true?

Jeff Blum -

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, EP oils should not be used with yellow metals. EP additives work by chemically reacting with the metal surfaces. This reaction is too aggressive for yellow metals, resulting in rapid corrosion.

Most worm gear manufacturers have started using Mobil SHC632
Synthetic Hydro Carbon gear oil. Because of it's cooler operating temperatures, most manufacturers have increased their power ratings. The additives in EP oil will attack the bronze gear. This is not an ad for Mobil, but this synthetic is the way to go with worm gears. There are other companies products, but I have only used the Mobil, and also replaced with Amsoil RCO. Usually Amsoil's consumer products are on the expensive side, but their worm gear oil is suprisingly reasonably priced.

Russell Giuliano

hello Jeff and others,

suggest for CuSn12 and other tin-bronzes to check petrocanada's Ultima EP 460 gives a very nice suface and no corrosion as far as i have been involved and ran tests with it. On the other hand if it conerns the higher strength types of aluminium bronze like CuAl10Ni5Fe4, you might go for Addinol's Ecogear 460 M.
Donot get mixed-up between these to combinations since Ecogear 460 M is developed nor fit to work with CuSn12

success and kind regards
Gerrit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back