Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EPANET software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewis

Jun 17, 1999
CA
Is there a program and/or an approved method available that can be used to verify output from the water distribution software EPANET

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think there is a program/approved method for verifying EPANET output.  However, you could make a spreadsheet using excel that could do the same calculations.  I've used EPANET for several projects and I think this is a good TOOL, but this program is not the most user-friendly.  I was wondering why you want to verify the output?  Do you suspect some error?  

My question needs clarification. I have prepared an EPANET model for a community that has 3 water sources, 9 PRV's,4 reservoirs,about 200 pipes and other features. I've carried out a pressure/flow test at several hydrants and comparied it to the EPANET model. There are significant differences. I'm looking for a test method(s) for comparing actual vs calculated and method(s) to adjust/refine the EPANET model based on these tests.     

I think EPAnet is the tool to use for comparing actual vs calculated. I don't believe there's a test method to compare these values with the results of EPAnet. You'll have to do some hand calcs to compare. In my opinion, this program is best tested by running the program and comparing with known results such as you did at the fire hydrants. Have you input the data for the items which will cause pressure in the system (ie pumps and reservoir elevations, prv information, flow rate)? You'll need to check known pressures at nodes to determine if you have entered the pressure causing items correctly. For example, there are different methods of entering pumps and reservoirs. You input PRV's in the input file. If you've got the input data correct, such as pump, flow, and reservoir level, etc., the pressure at the hydrants should be close to the known pressure value.

If your model results are different than your field results, I agree with ladyce to check that you have input all information correctly. Another possibility may be there are valves that are closed in the field that are not reflected in your model. You may want to ask the maintenance staff to verify certain suspect locations to make sure valves are either opened or closed as represented in your model.

Good luck.

[sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back