Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EPDM Rubber Part Bonding Circular Surface and Patch 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbeck122

Jan 8, 2014
US
I am not sure if i should have posted this thread here or in General but here it is.
First and foremost thank you for responding to this thread.

At my company we use adhesive armaflex 520 BLV to glue on a round EPDM rubber surface patch of EPDM rubber 3x3x.05". Patch is covering device that can undergo 120 deg.

Unfortunately this particular glue doesn't hold a good bond. EPDM rubber patch keeps peeling off.

Any suggestions and opinions will be appreciated. I am looking for any options if there are some kind of welding or any process that could help keep the patch glued in and not peel off.

when epdm rubber is prepared we clean the rubber and prepare the patch according to the glue process.

Also if we should clean the rubber with ketone or a primer let me know and please suggest which one is good.

Thank you and if you need any additional info let me know,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does the rubber undergo significant stress after bonding, or just the temperature cycle?

I've never had good luck bonding cured rubber components that held up under either condition, but maybe someone else has. My only advice would be to contact the Lord Corporation - , they make a fairly wide range of adhesives and primers.

For what it's worth, you may have better luck by creating a mold and "curing" the patch onto the surface of the rubber part, or even figuring out a way to embed the device directly into the molded object and skip the secondary operation altogether.

The quick answer is to try an EPDM cement, such as this Carlilse Sure Seal. The cement you are currently using is a neoprene, not the best choice for EPDM.

Are you gluing the round EPDM patch onto another piece of EPDM rubber or something else?

Is that 120' F or C ?

Are you molding the EPDM or just buying the cured product?

Thanks for all the responses. I will look into the cement that you suggested.
Temperature is 120C. Part doesnt undergo stress only heating cycles.
Are you gluing the round EPDM patch onto another piece of EPDM rubber - Answer Correct.

We opened another batch of glue and so far looks like the glue holds little better. I will have to check today and see if results improved if yes then glue was old.

I will keep you posted and i will check the cement. Hopefully they are OK to buy in California.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back