Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Epicyclic Gear - Tooth Mesh Vibration Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

MachEng

Mechanical
Jul 27, 2000
AU
I am creating a fault frequency set for analysis in a condition monitoring program on a compressor driven through an epicyclic gear increaser. My request is for the formulae to calculate the tooth mesh frequencies in this type of gear assembly and any other useful tips regarding this type of machinery. The components are as follows:

Output HP - 7100 bhp
Gear ratio - 1:2.6207
Low speed annulus - 112 splines
annulus ring gear - 76 teeth
Star/Planet Wheel - 23 teeth
Sun Wheel - 29 teeth

Also are there any links/web sites that can give me more information regarding epicyclic gear fault frequencies?

In anticipation of your interest and comments thanks !

Macheng

DANIEL C. SMAISTRLA
daniel.smaistrla@santos.com.au

Equipment: Centrifugal Pumps and compressors; Steam and Gas Turbines; Reciprocation Engines and

Compressors

Specialties: Vibration & Piping Pulsation analysis, Root Cause Analysis and Condition Monitoring

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Everyone,

I forgot to include that the gears are double helical.

Macheng

DANIEL C. SMAISTRLA
daniel.smaistrla@santos.com.au

Equipment: Centrifugal Pumps and compressors; Steam and Gas Turbines; Reciprocation Engines and

Compressors

Specialties: Vibration & Piping Pulsation analysis, Root Cause Analysis and Condition Monitoring

You can download a demo of the VCI Gear Calculator program at that will perform the calculation you need. The download is free and the demo will run ten times, after that the program is relativity inexpensive (less than $200 US). If you have any problems let me know. I'll be glad to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back