Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Epoxy Anchors - field install issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

keyPitsimplE

Structural
Aug 5, 2008
US
I do not wish to belabor the pros/cons or likes/dislikes of epoxy anchors. I deal with a lot of remodels, so they are a necessary evil. That said, when the guys run into rebar with their drill, the obvious options are: 1) move to the other side of the stud pack (where possible) and try again, 2) use the reduced depth and install another HD on the other side of the stud pack to provide full design capacity, 3) redesign for a strap to be mounted to face of wall with shear bolts/screws (yuk!), or 4) change bits and drill thru the rebar and install to proper depth anyway. #4 would only be permissible on a case by case basis after the engineer has evaluated how important the piece of rebar is.

Does anyone have any additional creative solutions? I have wondered about a load distribution plate with welded coupling nut that has (4) smaller holes that would accept maybe 3/8" or 1/4" bolt that could be drilled more shallow than a single bolt. This might be something for Simpson to do some testing on and provide tabulated capacities.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back