Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old Deck Inspection Issues 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabbdc

Civil/Environmental
Jul 23, 2002
US
I am perplexed. I’m Inspecting a deck that a home inspector requested a structural evaluation be done by an engineer. The deck is 27 years old (two stories with 4x6 post), but has been well kept (very well kept). I see all sorts of problems related to current codes: 2x8 @ 24-inch joist with an 11 foot span, 1/2-inch (assume through) bolts at 48-inches oc on the ledger, no knee bracing …. The problem is the deck is solid and has been working fine for 27 years. No signs of distress. I know that since it is existing, it needed to meet the code at the time that it was built (which I don’t have but I doubt would have been much different; I’m pretty current on the last 15 years).

The deck is solid, plumb and true (which I was surprised by). Jumping up and down, you really feel minimal movement. I have seen much worst.

The deck is solid, but how can I state that (seal it) when I know it is out of spec. I can’t believe it is as old as it is, the thing looks great. I have problem changing up things (and costing the owner big bucks ) that evidently have worked for the life of this deck. Based on the current up keep, I would not be surprised if they got another 20 years out of this deck. I am amassed at how solid it felt and looked.

How can I say its OK?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I agree with PEinc. Only if the home inspector found the deck to have structural deficiencies should he recommend an engineer's analysis, that's his job.

From what I understand from Appendix J "Existing Buildings and Structures" of IRC, if existing conditions are proven "Dangerous", then those elements need to be brought up to current code. IRC AJ201 defines "Dangerous" as an 150% allowable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back