Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Epoxy bond surface finish parameters

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCoat999

Mechanical
Oct 21, 2003
US
I am looking to increase the bond strength in a current application. Are there particular surface finish parameters that best define surfaces for good bonding? (we currently look only at a minimum Ra). We are using quartz as the blast media. Are there general guidelines for size/shape of the blast media that give the best bonding surface finish?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Surface cleanliness - latest Metal Finishing magazine has a good article on this.

There are studies showing that blast media can facture into slivers and impregnate the material interfering with the bonding. The study I saw was done, I believe, with silica and tungsten carbide.

Tom

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Alumina particles work OK - use 60-80 mesh sized particles; aim for an anchor profile of 2mils (50 microns) average; ensure blast media is dry when used.
As a general rule for any blast media it should not be re-cycled (i.e. use it once only) as otherwise the surface finish will be compromised and inconsistent.

Riadsala

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back