Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Epoxy Coated Rebar

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAAprince

Structural
Sep 7, 2010
HK
I am doing rehabilitation of a concrete structure. The plan is to chip of the existing concrete; and to expose the existing epoxy coated rebars and leave them in place; and then to pour the new concrete. Before pouring the concrete, how do I clean the epoxy coated rebars? I understand that for black we can abrasive blast clean. I do not want to replace the existing rebar coz it is hard in construction point of view.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Low pressure water wash only. Do not abrade or high-pressure wash the bar. Inspect for damaged coating and repair using a two-part epoxy patching material (ASTM A775). Clean exposed bar to sound steel before repairing the coating.

Why is the rehab required? If the bars are corroded, you will need evaluate the remaining strength of the bars, and supplement or replace if required.

I agree with TX, the question of why the concrete is being replaced rings alarm bells in my mind.

Can you please help me silence them by giving us some more background information.

More background information would be helpful.

Are you able to develop adequate bond in the existing bars within the new concrete? Perhaps a rough sketch would be useful.

BA

Thanks for the replies.

There is map cracking at the surface of the sidewalk of a bridge. The rebar is fine according to the condition report. Therefore we are planning to replace the top portion of concrete only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back