Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Epoxy Coated Rebar 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicaeng

Civil/Environmental
Oct 4, 2011
CA
Are there different types of epoxy coated rebars?. We are building a geothermal power plant in Nicaragua and a drawing specifies field applied fusion bonded epoxy coating on the rebar for a foundation, we will buy the rebar coated in the US since we can't find any on Central America, i just need to be sure that if i ask for epoxy coated rebar they won't reply back asking "what kind do you need?"

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As I recall, the florida DOT preferes the use of galvanized rebar on bridges exposed to salt spray, and is now considering the use of additional coverage using geopolymer concrete .

The problems with epoxy-coated bars are overstated. Almost 600,000 ton of epoxy-coated reinforcing steel is available from almost 40 locations nationwide. This was about 10 percent of all reinforcing steel in 2011. Delivery times are similar to that of black bar and these plants and field personnel are used to handling these coated bars. Galvanized bars are only available in 40 ft lengths and require chromate pretreatment, which not all galvanizers like or have.

I know that Ohio DOT likes to use green rebar - as well as some private jobs. I was out on a job at a local college, and galvanized rebar was used (it was tied and placed in piers and footings). Typically in Ohio, anything that's related to a roadway, whether it's ODOT or not, will have the green epoxy rebar.

nicaeng, what state are you in? Is this a public or private job?

I am in Nicaragua, Central America, we are working on the San Jacinto Geothermal Power Project. It is a private job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back