Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Equation driven configurations in an assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOKi42

Mechanical
Aug 12, 2005
US
I am having a problem with driving configurations within an assembly. OK here’s the thing we are using properties for parts to export BOM’s that we can use for ordering materials and evaluating cost. The fields for each part must be entered by hand (from what I can tell) so the only way to make it feasible is to use configurations for the different sizes of a particular part (i.e. 1” x 1” x 1/8” angle iron). I need to be able to drive the different sides of the structure with an equation but every time I try to apply an equation to a configuration all the configurations change to. The help files tell how to drive different configurations with equations inside that part but what’s the point of that? Any suggestions?

Software: SolidWorks 2005 SP3.0

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

WHy don't you try using a Design table instead, then you can place your Eqaution in the form of a Formula in Excel and also have a proeprty defined for each config within the DT.

Why not do it one step instead of 3.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Just to answer the last issue of your post, you can control for which configuration you want to apply a certain equation. For each of equation you can create a config., and define which equation will be evaluated in each config.

It's all about flexibility. It's better for the software to have several ways to achieve similar results that to get frustrated when sone way doesn't propery apply.

Daniel Pegas

I don’t see how the config. Suggestion would work. I need both the with and length of a frame using different parts of a configuration to be driven at the same time.

LOKi42
Create your configuration like Daniel says. Now change over to one of your configurations. Double click on the dimension you want to control. A dialog will come up with the dimension in it. Below that dimension it will ask which configuration you want. Click this configuration only. If you do not change this, it will be all configurations.

I do like the design table idea.

Bradley

That has allready been done the problem is if you assign an equation in the assembly to one configuration it changes all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back