Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Equation Referencing a component pattern? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeys

Mechanical
Feb 25, 2005
GB
hello,

I have built an assembly of guarding using box section and inch mesh(horizontal & vertical bars).

I have created an equation in the assembly between the top length of SHS and horizontal bar of the inch mesh so when I change the length of the SHS the bar length changes accordingly.

The vertical bar of the inch mesh is always at a constant length so no changes need to be made. I have used the pattern feature to distance the bars accordingly. Is it possible to create an equation relative to the component pattern that would place so many vertical bars at 1” apart according to the length of SHS?

Picture below shows standard panel.

standardpannel.jpg

Picture below shows modified panel.

standardpannelmod.jpg

Thanks,

Callum

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you using SW 2005 SP 2? If you are, you will not be able to make an equation with the pattern because of a problem that I noted in a previous post. You used to be able to double click the pattern, and the numbers would show up in the working area.
You could then link this to an equation.
It could be something like:
Horizontal tube = 24
the pattern number would be something like
24-1

Flores

Thanks for the reply.

hmmm - i have tried driving this change via an equation to change the number of linear patterns depending on the length of shs....sadly I cant get this work.

Basically I want the number of linear patterns to change with regards to length of top shs. I.E. the narrower the panel then the fewer horizontal bars required.

The ideal set-up is so that I only have to change the top SHS length and the full model will update accordingly, i.e. the followig are updated:
1.the length of middle SHS,
2.the length of bottom SHS,
3.the length of horizontal bars,
4.the number of vertical bars.

I have managed the first three problems but the forth is beyond me!

Anyone?

callum

surely there is a way to linear patern a component, at a preset distance apart(in this case 1 inch), up to a surface(i.e. inside the box frame)?

callum

This can certainly be done with equatins as you have indicated... maybe you just need to try again.

The Equation would look something like this:
#_of_bars = int((total_length-2*space_on_end) / spacing)+1

The int() function rounds the results of the division to the lowest common whole number (difficult to have 10.33 as a # of instances).

Depending on how you place your first instance in the pattern, you will also need another equation to center the entire pattern in your frame.

If you wish, let me know and I will see if I can create an example you can download and see.

Arlin,

That would be great if you could upload an example for me to see - much appricated. Unfortunetly I have basic knowledge of the equation maker - still learning!

Callum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back