Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Equations in SW 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Febs

Civil/Environmental
Feb 17, 2013
PT
Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new here. I was wandering if anyone could help with SolidWorks 2003, it's an old version, but it's the one that my colage has license to.

Basicly I'm trying to use equations.

I've made a rectangle and attributed dimensions to it. I want it to be a square, so I use the equation:

"D1@Sketch1" = "D2@Sketch1"

The program won't accept this equation by giving me the message:
"The Syntax of this equation is incorrect."

and with:

"D1@Sketch1" = 100
it will give the same message.

Thanks in advance,
Febs

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello Febs,
Funny I just become a member on this forum and my first question that intended to ask was exactly this one! My post is:

I have a problem with the equation function in SolidWorks, the problem is simply that I cannot create any equation driven dimension!

I can open the equation tool but that’s about it. SW response to any simple equation is that I got the syntax wrong. I use SolidWorks 2003 version.

My steps in more detail below:
1. I open a new sketch
2. I make a simple rectangle
3. I give a dimension to the two of the sides of the rectangle, SolidWorks automatically name the two dimensions D1 and D2
4. I click “Equations” in the “tools”-menu
5. I click “Add…” in the window that then opens
6. I get up the window where you can enter you equation
7. I click on one dimension, for example the D1 and SolidWorks then automatically fills in "D1@Sketch1"
8. I then click the equal sign (with a space before and after) using the number and operator buttons to the left in the window)
9. Then I test different things e.g. clicking on the D2 dimension so that it says "D1@Sketch1" = "D2@Sketch1" or adds "D1@Sketch1" = "D2@Sketch1" * 2 or simply "D1@Sketch1" = 5 or something else then I click “ok”
10. No matter what kind of equation I enter I get a window up saying “The syntax of this equation is incorrect” after having pushed the “ok” button in the previous step! Slightly frustration

I assume that the left hand of the equal sign is the dimension that you want to assign a value and the right hand of the equal sign is defining/assigning this value, thus the “formula” should be on the right hand side.
I hope that someone could point out my error. It's so basic that either I am doing something fundamentally wrong or it’s a freak thing.

I am guessing you have a problem with your VBA installation. Uninstall and reinstall again.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

Ok. thanks, with VBA-installation you mean Visual Basic-instalation!? Is this a part of windows (I run Windows 7). It might seems like a simple thing that I shuould know but...How do you uninstall and reinstall it again. In the "Uninstall" in the windows "Control panel" I have a few programs (about 6 of them) that are called "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.3..." or similar, is it those?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back