Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Equations to suppress fetaures 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-C

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2003
US
Can you use equations to suppress features? I know you can do it with a design table but I'd rather do it from the equation function.

Jason Capriotti
Smith & Nephew, Inc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think you can do it directly from an Equation, but you could do it in combination with a DT. Have the equation use the IF function to give an output which can be used by the DT which also uses IF to give S (Suppress) or R (Resolve) {or is it U for unsupress?} in the relevant cell.

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[ponder] What happens if you get scared half to death twice? [ponder]

Afterthought ... are the parts you want to suppress, part of a pattern? If so then you may be able to by using the IF function on a dimension, which will alter the qty in a pattern.

It's for a feature in a part, not an assembly.

State@Hole = If length<5 then "S", else "U"

Jason Capriotti
Smith & Nephew, Inc.

No pattern, just the feature, any feature in part really (Hole, Extrude, plane, etc...)

Jason Capriotti
Smith & Nephew, Inc.

To be the devils advocate. What is the benefit of using an equation in place of the design table. They are essentially the same thing. The ability of the design table just being far more robust do to the unlimited use of all excel functionality and the ability to set up your table and import it to several parts if you often use the same equations. You may be seeing something I'm not as far as benefits. Can you explain?

Real-time updating. Opening and closing the design table is time consuming for making quick changes. I want to just change a variable and rebuild. If several dimensions are controlled from a design table via excel equations, you have to open the DT for it to update properly.

Jason Capriotti
Smith & Nephew, Inc.

Bouke

SW does not allow that. Nearest you can get is .00001mm or .00000394in which still creates seperate surfaces.

I could see the use of it during development and such, while changing a design for evaluation. Other than that I would consider it config control and use a design table. I like it, I think you should send it as an enhancement req.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back