Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

equipment for bagging objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

insideman

Mechanical
Nov 21, 2000
US
I must find/devise equipment to facilitate putting an object into a plastic bag, add a card header to the bag and neatly staple it. The object is 1" X 2.75" X 9.75", fairly hard rubber. Weighs .3 lb. Bag is .002 polyethylene, 3' wide, 13" tall. The header is .010 card, 3.5 x 4 folded to 3.5 x 2.

Production is small, about 100 per month. Work will be done by my grandsons chained to the workbench.

I am well along with the design of this device, but it occurs to me that this can't be a new problem, and that a solution must be avaiable at reasonable cost. Can you help?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

At 100/hr, some automation would be justified.

At 100/mo, your biggest problems will be forgetting how it was done the last time, exactly, and dust on the production machinery. So make simple manual tooling, document the process you want, including photographs, and bundle it into a little workstation.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

for 100 pcs per month, it does not pay to even consider packaging equipment. Just do it by hand. Chain may be eliminated by offering grandsons a few bucks :>)

Gentlemen: Thanks for your replies. But I should have written that the point of this exercise is not to save labor. It is to:

ASSURE QUALITY.

I want to have all the headers going on straight, no twisted bags, etc.

Does this thought change your answers?

So, you rig up a simple wooden clamp to hold the bag closed and position the header. Maybe it can hold the base of the stapler, too.

And a nice 8x10 glossy of what it's _supposed_ to look like, hung right above the workstation.

Then you inspect the first five or so of every batch just to make sure everyone is trying to do the same thing.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

The fixture is simple. I spent $2.31 for some wood and used an electric stapler that was on hand. I hacked it on my kitchen table. Took most of a day. Works a dream!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back