Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ergonomic limits for thumb and 1st finger 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ship69

Mechanical
Nov 23, 2015
GB
Hello

I am designing product that is similar to a clothespin /cloths-peg. i.e. It involves some jaws that need to be opened by a user with one hand.

I need to know:
a) What is the maximum ergonomic span between thumb and 1st (or 2nd) fingers?
b) What is the maximum acceptable for between thumb and 1st (or 2nd) fingers?

For use by male and female adults aged at least late teens on wards.

Many thanks

J

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. Excellent! OK I now have some thumb-finger forces data

Details:
I managed to download the "MIL-STD-1472, Human Engineering" PDF from here:
On page 94 the "THUMB-FINGER GRIP (PALMER)" seems to be 60 Newtons of momentary hold, 35 Newtons of sustained hold for "5th percentile male data".

Thank you. Yes, this is useful, although I shall need to scale it back to work for female hands. According to this table
4.9.3-5
I should reduce these numbers by 45% for to allow for women's "upper extremeties" being physically weaker then men's.

However according to this link:
Thumb & index finger strength for men is "19 lbs" ==> 8.6 Kg ==> 84 Newtons (24 Newtons more that nasa.gov link)
And women aren't far behind at "15 lbs" ==> 6.8 Kg ==> 66 Newtons

Anyhow those are good enough numbers for now on thumb-first finger strength.

2. I could not find any information about either what maximum stretch (i.e. maximum span) would be for a thumb to first finger pinch grip, nor how that interacts with strength (ideally for women).

Any suggestions?

J

ship69,

Maximum stretch should be easier than force. Ask some five foot tall woman in our office to stretch her fingers out, then measure them.

--
JHG

Finally getting there... with a little help from the Chartered Institute of Ergonomics, I have finally discovered that for pinching between first and index finger (which is what will be required by our new product):

1). 95% of women should be able to pinch with 62+ Newtons (my 66 Newtons above wasn't far off)
2). 95% of women should be able to grasp to a width of 94+mm

What I now need to know is how much to scale back to allow for:
A) Being at near maximum width of stretch (say 94mm) ==> reduce force by 25%?
B) For say 25 repeat pinches within 5 minutes ==> reduce force by a further 20%?
C) Reasonable comfort (as opposed to maximums) ==> ?

Are there any broad ergonomic principles or rules of thumb (!) that I might apply?

Many thanks

drawoh
Yes, I like your thinking. I guess most people's hand are roughly in promotion to their height, although I notice that this can vary a fair bit. And it will be a good idea to do some usability testing on smaller, more lightly built women... who don't rock-climb(!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back