Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Ergonomic Standards -- Hand forces

Status
Not open for further replies.

billfold

Mechanical
Aug 10, 2000
US
I am designing a device that has a push button very similar to a trumpet. It fits in the palm and the button will have a travel of about 0.2".

The Humanscale 4/5/6 book I have for ergonomic references doesn't appear to cover this type of control (mostly panel buttons are included). Does anyone have a source they could share that might include this information?

Thanks! [sig][/sig]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Billfold,

I've been looking through a number of military standards and the closest I can find is a handbrake - not far off what you are looking for I think.

Defence Standard 00-25 deals with Human Factors - I will try to get you the website address where you can download it (I think it is free of charge from the Def Stan website). If you want, I can scan in a few pages that might be worth looking at and e-mail them to you.

Hope this helps,

Brian Hurley
Design Engineer [sig][/sig]

Brian,

Thank you very much for the information. The handbrake does sound pretty close, except only one finger will be used to activate my "trumpet".

I found many references to the Defence Standards, but could not locate the site where they are available for download. It looks like either Part 3 or Part 10 is what I need. If you can provide any additional info, that would be fantastic!

Ned Connell

Ned,

The website address you need is - from there you can follow the link to Defence Standards, and then click on 00 General Data. You can then access DEFSTAN 0025 from there.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Brian Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back