Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Errata for Miller "Flow Measurement Engineering Handbook" Second edit

Status
Not open for further replies.

recoveringEngineer

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2004
US
Does anyone have an errata sheet or a link for the errata for the second edition of "Flow Measurement Engineering Handbook" by Richard W. Miller?

I just purchased a used second edition. Equation (9.95) looks wrong. It looks like the middle term is inverted and should be rho_l/rho_g (density liquid / density of vapor).
the entire equation is
rho_TP = rho_l/(1 + X(rho_g/rho_l -1))

I looked on the McGraw-Hill site but could not find an errata. Maybe someone could look in their third edition for me. But where there is one error....I really need the errata.

Thanks
Donald Blachly

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The two phase density has to be less than the liquid density. That says that the X term must be greater than zero. Gas density over liquid density will always be less than 1.0, so that ratio minus 1 will be negative. Plus 1 and you get a number less than 1.0 and the two-phase density is greater than the liquid density.

You'll probably have to rely on your own analysis. I never got an errata for the first edition, and don't expect to get one for the second.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

The Plural of "anecdote" is not "data"

David
Thanks for your post. My analysis was:

?_tp = ?_l + X ( ?_g - ? _l)
?_tp = {1/[1/?_l + X (1/?_g – 1/ ?_l)]} * ?_l / ?_l
?_tp = ?_l / ( 1 + X (?_l/ ?_g -1))

so I feel good about it.

Donald Blachly, PE

Huh...The preview showed the Greek letters correctly, but the actual post did not. Strange. The "v" is specific volumn and the "rho" is density. Here is the corrected display:
v_tp = v_l + X ( v_g - v_l)

rho_tp = { 1/[1/rho_l + X (1/rho_g – 1/ rho_l)]} * rho_l / rho_l

rho_tp = rho_l / ( 1 + X (rho_l/ rho_g -1))

Donald Blachly, PE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back