Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Error allocating requested memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtarozzi

Automotive
Apr 17, 2009
I have an old version of Algor Fempro (13.38 Jun 03) which I am installing on my newest computer, XP O/S. My modeling package is AutoCad Mech Desk Top.

Modeling, meshing and boundary conditions all go well. The problem occurs when I attempt a solution. After a few seconds I get and error message: "Error allocating requested memory". I am currently using just a small model to trouble shoot the problem.

My Algor service contract has expired long ago and they can offer no help. I am hoping someone on this forum will have a solution. I have more than adequate computer memory, espically for my small test model. I have also double checked the various environment variables.

TIA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm afraid your problem is with the age of your software. Version 13 was still Fortran based rather than the current database driven. Not 100% sure why it wouldn't recognize the memory...you may want to see if one of the computer engineering forums can explain indexing. It may have to do with the way allocation tables are set up now compared to 2003...your computer is looking in "slot A", but computers now store allocation in "tab B".

Hello,

I just recently went through a problem with algor about memory. During analysis right after the sparse solver was activated I would get an error (see attached file) saying it was out of memory. I must digress and say that originally I had 4GB of ram then we added 16GB more. When I had 4GB of ram I would not see the error but after I added the 16GB of ram I would get the error. It turns out that algor will only support 8GB of Ram. If you allocate more to algor you will get an error. I do not know if this is your problem because you are running 13.38 and I do not know if you have more than 8GB of ram but if you go in and reduce the amount of memory allocated to the solver you will not see this error (if this is indeed your problem). Hope this helps if not hope you solve your mystery.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9298148d-e127-41cf-bf93-7942f3607ba2&file=ALGOR.docx
The OP simply states that XP is his OS with no specific mention of being 64bit, in which case you should assume that he only has a 32bit machine, in which case with the 3GB switch that is the maximum memory available!

True enough, johnhors, but since the computer is so new, is it safer to assume x64 bit, in which case, software from 2003 may not run.

Care to fill in some additional specifications, rtarozzi?

Thanks for all the responses. You all got me thinking, especially Dengr1.

First of all the machine is x64 and I have 2GB of ram. It turns out that my problem stems from confusing my MB’s and GB’s. In ‘Environment Variables’ I assigned too much memory to ALGMEM, more than I actually had. Therefore the program could not “allocate the requested memory”. Fair enough. The values in ‘Environment Variables’ are KB’s not Bytes and I was entering too many zero’s. Ultimately I assigned approx 80% of the available memory, 60% of the total memory, and I was able to obtain a solution for my test model. I am not sure what will happen when I attempt a larger model. I believe what will happen is that Algor will page out to the disk and the run time for the solution will be longer. At that time I will just purchase additional ram.

Thanks again for all your effort(s) I really appreciate the help. I am always amazed at all the help that is “out there” if you just ask.

rtarozzi

No need to purchase additional RAM. Version 13 won't support it. It was based on a 32-bit operating system and tops out at 2 Gig. You may be able to find a way to trick it in to seeing 3Gig, but I doubt it.

I also have the 'Error allocating requested memory'.

I am using XP64 with 4-GB of RAM. Please could someone explain to me how I can solve this problem?

I do not know how to access the 'Environment Variables' concerning Algor; neither do I know how to alter anything to do with ALGMEM.

I just installed VirtualBox, which enabled me to install XP-32 within XP-64. Once XP-32 was installed, I loaded ALGOR within it. I then ran the simulation and it works perfectly.

I would still like to be able to run ALGOR within XP-64, of course.

Sounds like you have the 32-bit version of the software. If you are still under a maintenance agreement, you may want to download the 64-bit version.

I am running the 64-bit version, and am unable to complete ALGOR analyses within it.

However, one way around this was to install VirtualBox, which allowed me to install the 32-bit version of XP within the 32-bit (an OS within an OS running as any other application). Within this 'virtual' 32-bit OS I am able to use ALGOR properly.

This is not satisfactory as I would, ideally, like to use ALGOR within the 64-bit OS. But when I try I get the 'Error allocating requested memory' message and the analysis fails.

The thread starter had the same problem, but was able to solve it. I would like to know exactly how.

I am also running on 64 bit. In order to run an analysis I set the solver kind always to sparse with 10% memory. Otherwise it will not run MES or linear statics. Natural frequency analysis will run with the default settings. The previous version needed an open and close before I could solve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back