Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error during close surface 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudhakar12345

Automotive
Apr 3, 2013
IN
hello ,

I am getting non manifold error during close surface when i try to convert a complex surface to solid. Please help me on this. How to resolve the errors and warnings during close surface command ?Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Sudhakar.N

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello Sudhakar,

Most likely you have a surface that does not completely enclose a volume or it is not limited by a planer curve (like the lateral of a cylinder without planar disks).

I would recommend using the Boundary feature from the Generative Shape Design workbench to highlight open patches in your surface that need to be closed.

Hope this helps,
Best of luck!

CATIA V5R19 – user & trainer
ANSYS – beginner

I would use the Boundary feature (
I_BoundaryP2.gif
) to find open spaces in the surface; after you find the problematic area the solution depends on what kind of surface are working with, how complex it is, and so on...

You can read more about Boundary feature here.

ANSYS – beginner

Thanks for your reply. So do you mean that the surface has to form one single loop while we extract the boundary out of it. Suppose i have an oil pan or a cylinder block then how do i do it ? Thanks in Advance.

If you are trying to close a surface, there should be no boundry (unless it is 1 single planar boundry), catia cannot close an open volume.

Suppose i have an oil pan or a cylinder block then how do i do it ? Thanks in Advance.

-Split primitive solid (e.g. block, etc) created in Part Design with Yours surface
-Thick surface
-Sewing surface

Of course You can close Your surface manually, if there is only single boundary, especially if it is 2-D curve, You can extract boundary, create FILL and then Join Surface+Fill

Post screenshot for more accurate tips :)

LukaszSz. Poland, Warsaw University of Technology, Faculty of Power and Aeronautical Engineering : MEchanical Engineering. BsC - 2013

jopal has explained it very well.

If you are trying to close a surface, there should be no boundry (unless it is 1 single planar boundry), catia cannot close an open volume.

In your case sudhakar12345, there are two possibilities (which prevent a clean Close Surface):
[ul]

[li] Some surfaces are not close enough to be able to close a singular volume by CATIA and in that case use the Join
I_AssembleBiparP2.gif
feature with Distance Propagation (right click in the window of the Join and click Distance Propagation) after selecting a face. In this case set a tolerance (Merging distance) big enough to be able to close the surface. More about this feature can be found here.

dbassembledefNLS.gif

[/li]

[li]The other possibility is that you have bifurcating surfaces (like the letter Y) which will not permit closing...[/li]

[/ul]

A simple cylinder can be closed by the Close Surface because it can be closed by simple and planar surfaces automatically. CATIA can manage this...

Best of luck!

ANSYS – beginner

Please find the error i am getting in the snap shots attached when i try to join the surface with distance propogation.

ERROR : Some non manifold configurations are detected.they are not managed by join operator.Modify input bodies to suppress these non manifold configurations.

Have You tried create boundary? (for better visibility change it;s graphical properties and hide surface)

LukaszSz. Poland, Warsaw University of Technology, Faculty of Power and Aeronautical Engineering : MEchanical Engineering. BsC - 2013

yes. i tried creating a boundary. the top surface is a single planar boundary. the error i am geting is "self intersecting edges ". How do i rectify this self intersecting edges error ?

By the way how do you want me to create the boundary?

I am asuuming this is made up of several individual surfaces. If this was one surface, you would get a boundry. Try joining it to find the errors. You may have to break up the join (do 1 small section at a time until you find the problematic geometry).

Also if you have healing capabilities, this will help solve your problem.

Thanks japal for your interest. I am getting the error in terms of Boundary (flags denote boundaries as separate surfaces ). How do i rectify this boundary problem or how do i mk it a single boundary ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back