Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error in Y14.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zissou

Mechanical
Feb 27, 2006
US
When looking at roll-size sheets; G sheets start out at 22.5" inches wide and move to 90" max in 8.5" increments, however... that would come out to 90.5".... When looking at H,J, and K sheets, they increment from 44" or 55" to 143" or 176" in 11" increments and this adds up...

The question is why does the G sheet come out 1/2" wider than what is declared in Y14.1?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My copy says that the increment is 3.75".
Table 2 on page 5.
the maximum increment accordinbg to note 2 is 5.50.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

I think I'm not being clear... what you are referring to is the "Recommended Zone Sizes"; I'm referring to the increments mentioned in Y14.1 4.2.1 - which is 8.5" for G-size and 11" for all other roll-sized.

The math doesn't work out for G-size, though.

The zone sizes are waht detremine the actual useable space in the draing format.
The increments you are refering to are for copy/microfilm sizes, so the pages can be inserted into a binder.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

Zissou,

I agree that the standard is not making sense.

"4.2.2 G-Size Format. Segments of lengths are based on multiples of 8.5 in. for G-size format. The G-size format permits full size copies to be bound in 8.5 X 11 in. books or filed in looseleaf notebooks. See Table 2 and Fig. 2."

But if you go to "Fig. 2" they talk about first & intermediate segments being 22.5 inches, and then the last segment can be 7.5, 15, or 22.5 inches. But none of those numbers, when added up in various ways, adds up to 90 inches. I'm confused.

The real question arises from the fact that the other sheet-size prints "add up". It's just the G-size that doesn't.

Who uses anything larger than "C". In the olden days when we drew "everything by hand" no computers just draw it was nesessary to show the "Big" picture.
Regards,
Namdac

We usualy use larger than C, E being the most common. Granted, our released file copies are 11"x17" for ease of storage, but we can plot out full size when required. We often need full scale plots for tooling set-ups. Even with "reduced dimensioned" drawings, it is not reasonable to use the many drawing sheets that would be required to show a part as opposed to fitting everything onto one E size drawing (at least until Y14.41 is widely adopted).

The place I'm working at now has just introduced the larger sizes. Until recently almost everything was on a B size with the odd C. This meant a lot of drawings that had a lot of sheets. Especially when you had to repeat views on different pages because there wasn't room on one for all the dimensions.

My personal preference is that if you can fit everything on one sheet, even if it means going to E, that's usually preferable to multi sheet drawings. Whilst not exactly a last resort I feal there's more chance of missing something having multiple sheets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back