Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error message in basic Flow Simulation [CFD analysis] NX7 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nastynotion

Mechanical
Jun 25, 2013
NO
Hey everyone,

So I'm trying to learn to do some basic CFD analysis using NX 7.0, specifically on internal flow in a test model of a 90 degree angled pipe. My process is as follows:

[ol 1]
[li]I open my part, pipe_test.prt[/li]
[li]Open advanced simulation environment[/li]
[li]Right click part in Simulation navigator and select "New FEM and simulation"[/li]
[li]Use standard parameters, I just change run directory in solve options to "Simulation-solution name" from "current simulation"[/li]
[li]Afterwards I go into the idealized file, and use Wave Geometry Linker, I then open up modelling environment and create the area of the internal pipe with Synchronous modelling and delete face. (I delete everything but internal faces and thus create a model of the flow area)[/li]
[li]I go back into Advanced Simulation environment, and enter the FEM file. I then suppress the body of the pipe, and am left with the body of internal flow area.[/li]
[li]I add a Tetrahedal Mesh (Tet10) with 5mm element size, and add water as material directly through the mesh collector option.[/li]
[li]I then go into the SIM file, and add two flow boundary conditions. Inlet flow (3000mm/s) through one face, and an opening condition through the other face. Illustrated with this picture
R4JmDMu.png
[/li]
[li]I right-click solution 1 and hit solve. That's when I get the error messaged which I attached.[/li]
[/ol]

This error basically says two things as far as I can understand
Code:
Mesh Error Summary
==================

ERROR

Mesh = 3d_mesh(1)
Mesh has no material applied to it for thermal or flow calculation.
Create a material and apply it to the mesh, the underlying geometry
or the element attributes override.

Which I fail to understand, as I added water as material in the mesh collector option when creating the Tetrehedal Mesh used for the simulation.

I also get this error in the report file:
Code:
ERROR

There are no 3D fluid elements or fluid mesh entity in model.
Either create a 3D fluid mesh or fluid mesh entity for flow solution.
Which I fail to comprehend for the same reasons.

Does anyone see where this error message stems from, and what I could do to rectify it?

I'd be happy to add additional informations and/or screenshots. For now I've attached the files I used and the error message in a .rar file.

Thanks in advance, and best regards!

Lars.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Lars,
Your mesh "3d_mesh(1)" is located in folder "Solid(2)", that is empty of properties, then the error. Simply "Drag & Drop" "3d_mesh(1)" in folder "Solid(1)" and you are done!.

mesh.png

Using the K-EPSILON turbulence model the CFD analysis solved in 18 iterations (less than 1 minute!!):

iterations.png

You can plot velocity results using posprocessing arrows:

arrows.png

Or animate results using streamlines:

animated.gif

Best regards,
Blas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blas Molero Hidalgo
Ingeniero Industrial
Director

IBERISA
48011 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: Blog de FEMAP & NX Nastran:

Thank you very much Blas, both for figuring it out and some great illustrations.

I was thinking it had to be something along these lines. I was working with a more complicated model, got the error. Tried to simplify it to just a pipe, and got the same thing!

Once again thank you very much. I look forward to playing around with this feature. :)

Regards, Lars.

I'm just bumping this thread for an additional question.

I've played a bit with simulations of fluids in different geometries and conditions, but in a similar setup, is it possible to simulate the dynamic pressure? I can get the static pressure, is there another way around to just taking fluid velocity at different points and calculating it by hand?

Best regards,

Lars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back