Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error opening model in Catia 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fotzio

Mechanical
Dec 20, 2004
HR
I have a problem opening Catia model file. Model is created od other computer nand all I get is Error message saying:
Incident report
Type: Error
Description:The Read/Write operation cannot be performed. Load aborted.
What could be the reason for that?
I'm using Catia v5R12.
Thank you gor any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Fotzio,

I don't think it's a C5R12 issue, I have opened models with this version before. Do you have access/permissions to that file?

I think he meant the latest Catia SP. However I think the model you're trying to open is either created in a newer version of Catia or your Timestamp on the model is wrong check your system time so that the model isn't created on a later date than your computer is set to.

I can't open it using File/New From because it's model extension, and model extension is not in offered extensions for importing.

hey i had a similar problem with a v4 model, as it turns out it was a corrupt file due to a botched download from a unix workstation to a windows workstation, i dont know if this helps, but like i said, i got the same message this morning, and i went to our doc controller and got a new model downloaded, problem solved...

I'll second that. Last week I got the same error when trying to open a .model file I saved to my local drive from VPM.
To work around it I had to map the unix drive from my windows machine then copy it from that mapped drive to my local drive. Probably something to do with the Network File System (NFS).

It could be the same problem because this model is created on unix workstation and I'm using workstation on windows. What exactly should I do to solve that problem? Download it again?
Thanx!

I have not had this issue, but it should not make a difference if you are trying to read a .model in a V5 system on Windows or Unix. I have successfully done both. My guess it the .model file is corrupt, download the file again.

Brandon Jacobsen
Product Design Engineer - Catia

In my case it's not a matter of V5 being on Windows or Unix rather, the .model file is on a Unix machine and when I copy the file across the network to my Windows machine I get an error when I try to open it.
I know the file is not corrupt because when I use a company tool to extract the file from the Unix machine it opens fine.

It's seems to be a basic binary/ascii-text download problem during ftp transfert!
nfs and samba usually use binary, but dos/windows ftp uses ascii mode which is the worst choice.
compare the file sises on both OS's. You'll find the windows one bigger!
When it happens, redownload the file after you type binary in your dos ftp session or choose binary in your ftp client menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back