ERV Parking/Storage Garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyV79

Mechanical
May 19, 2020
CA
Hi,

I'm working on a small commercial building with a 1 vehicle garage. We had planned on running the exhaust of the parking garage through our ERV, which is a polypropylene plate core (2 air streams do not meet). I got into a debate with the senior engineer on the interpretation of 62.1-2007. He reads that as long as 10% or less of the volume through the ERV is from the garage it can then be used, satisfying 5.17.2.2. I argued that, that clause doesn't apply as the air streams do not mix. He disagreed because the exchanger could fail. I'm wondering if I'm interpreting the clause correctly?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why are you using such an outdated version of the standard? Around here, the AHJ identifies which version of a standard is to be used, 07 has been out of commission for awhile.

Not familiar with that clause (a bit different from the latest versions). How big is your parking garage (certainly not 1 vehicle I pressume)? I also assume you mean hrv and not erv. I wouldn't use an erv, but then when you run the numbers, and depending on your location weather the hrv might not be cost effective.

Hi,
Yes we are using an HRV, and yes it is for 1 car garage (in a small arctic commercial building).

The reason for the old standard is that is what the AHJ required. The reason we wanted to exhaust the garage through the HRV was we had the HRV for the main mechanical system for the office space, the exhaust for the garage fan ran right by, it was minor additional cost to connect it rather than vent it.
In the end, the local code doesn't allow this anyway regardless of the ASHRAE standard, but I was wondering if I had interpreted the ASHRAE standard correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back