ESFR sprinkler in glicol installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

natka24

Mechanical
Sep 26, 2003
US
Hi,

I have installation with 120 ESFR sprinklers. Can I use a glicol medium with ESFR sprinklers according to NFPA13?

Joanna

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is this the system listed by TYCO? I thought most of these glycol systems for refrigerated warehouses were designed using CMSA sprinklers.

This cut sheet gets me back to my question...What are you trying to protect?

The data sheet clearly shows that for an ESFR COLD STORAGE SYSTEM, it is limited to:

"Commodity Classification: Limited to Class II or less."

Just because it's ESFR does not mean you can protect everything by converting to anti-freeze. You are severely limited to only Class II Commodities.

"Just because it's ESFR does not mean you can protect everything by converting to anti-freeze. You are severely limited to only Class II Commodities."

As been stated here numerous times ESFR systems are not the panacea to solve anything storage related.

Stookey - Tyco's system is a dry system and I is good for Class II or III commodities depending upon building height. Usually takes a pretty hefty fire pump.

Viking's antifreeze system is still pretty pricey and makes for a big maintenance headache.

My guess is you are trying to stay away from in-racks so I would look strongly at the Tyco Quell system first.

it depends... the quell system usually requires a large fire pump so if you have a small warehouse (for example 20,000 sq. ft.) it would be more cost effective to install in-rack sprinklers if the city water pressure is adequate.

If you have larger warehouse or need a fire pump regardless the quell system will be more cost effective.

Also, their are the maintenance costs if you eliminate the in-rack sprinklers since those never get hit by forklifts.

Contactors need to be licensed by Tyco to install the Quell system so not every sprinkler contractor is qualified.

One thing to be very watchful, make sure with your system that you have adequite protection around your cooling units. If you have a rooftop "penthouse" be especially careful with your installation because your insurance company will go nuts if heads aren't set up right. Even with a contractor who was licensed by the designer, my facility ran into all kinds of trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back