US
reports are this happen during the purge process
replace the hydrogen with carbon dioxide
replace the carbon dioxide with air

media%2FE8XE4dFX0AMXbiP.jpg

E8XE4dGXoAYkm9k.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm guessing middle management MBA wannabies overruled the engineers who knew how to do it safely. Management cutting corners to save a day or two of downtime.
It happens more and more, but usually not with such dramatic results.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

dang, that's not good. I guess hydrogen mixing with air can result in either explosion or fire, but I'm not sure what determines which one occurs (explosion, fire or both). This looks more like an explosion than a fire from the photos. When we had a hydrogen event at our plant due to a hydrogen seal problem a few decades back, it was a fire (I guess seal oil might have been involved in the fire as well, I'm not sure)

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

the HAYWARD, Calif article indicates the steam turbine malfunction during shut down.
I would guess a stuck steam valve and the breaker was open. being a combined plant the reporting was the combustion unit was put back in service (with out heat recover steam generator)

the other articles for ESKOM, said that 8 employess were "suspended" and a criminal investigation will be done.

as for doing a purge, I very rarely got involved, it was purely an Operations duty. (for commissioning I would watch closely and verify volumes used.

a plant I visited regualry had an event 10 years or so back. the Operations Shift Supivisor KNEW there was insufficent CO2. when mechanics open the bushing box to use fans to disperse, there was an explosion killing one mechanic. It has been a while, But I think the OSS was charged with manslaughter

the other articles for ESKOM, said that 8 employees were "suspended" and a criminal investigation will be done.

As I understood it, it is a regulatory requirement that a criminal investigation be launched.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

if a purge is done correctly, there is little delution of the h2 purity. the co2 is admitted at bpttom and h2 vented out top. given co2 is heavier

given its been 15~20 years since i worked, but I seem to recall seveal volume changes are needed with n2, only 1 if co2 is used n2 being lighter than co2

Looks like the end bells of the generator were blown clean off. I think those are for just H2 gas containment, the bearing housings are much beefier and probably still (??) intact. But good chance that generator is going to need to be replaced. Bunch of busted equipment with red pipes!! H2 for cooling.

I don't know what our plant used to purge, whether N2 or CO2. But it was taken seriously to be done right.

That Cali plant was just a steam turbine chucking blades. Sometimes just happens, sometimes due to an operational screw up.

after some googling, I think it is an ALSTOM (GE)
different design than I ever saw
with bearings seperate from end bells
alstom_gen_zo95ti.png

I guess now we might get to see if the South African version of OSH has teeth Occupational Health and Safety Act 85 of 1993

Attached is a recent Safety and Health Information Bulletin
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Directorate of Technical Support & Emergency Management
Office of Science and Technology Assessment
Hazards when Purging Hydrogen Gas-Cooled Electric Generator

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=075cd1ab-82c0-4e17-86e4-5c28a15d32aa&file=shib012216.pdf
The accident report should be circulated amongst the greenies that are pushing for a hydrogen economy, and apparently are unaware of the safety issues.

There have been a lot of major accidents in the ESKOM fleet over the last 20 yrs, I wonder what their insurance rates are.

"...when logic, and proportion, have fallen, sloppy dead..." Grace Slick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back