Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Esp flow rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOSTAFA86

Electrical
Mar 10, 2012
EG

dear jents

case is as follows; i finished the well's installation and started it up no problems.

i waited until the well stabilized, Pi and Pd are stable and all is good. The client starts taking production readings. Surface rate is 5000 BPD, i look at the curve and find that the operating range is 5700 BPD. i took sensor readings and check the pump curve, the production rate should be 5700 BPD. i looked at the design report and find that formation volume factor is 1.15

Discussion points
should the client base the production on the pump curve?.
Why is the production lower than on curve?
What could be a better solution to increase the production?‎
What should i consider before doing that?

please advice

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you only watch one video today watch Pumped Gas Presentation (it takes about 20 minutes). The reason your pump performance does not match your pump curve (and never will) is that some portion of the volume inside the pump is taken up by pumped gas. Some volume in the tubing after the pump is taken up by the pumped gas, so your projected pump discharge pressure is probably wrong and your volumetric efficiency of the pump is certainly wrong.

You didn't say what your flowing tubing pressure is, so I can't begin to estimate how much of your problem is pumped gas, but from the data you provided, I would bet that you'll see the answer in the linked presentation.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. ùGalileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

MOSTAFA86
zdas04 is absolutely correct about gas and that is likely 90% of your problem.

You stated a FVF OF 1.15 SCF/BBL. I would guess that is oil only. Do you have the water volume factor? Are the volume factors a calculation made from a correlation or an actual PVT test?
To further confuse things is the curve you are looking at. Is it a catalog curve or an actual test curve? Catalog curves are plotted at 3500 RPM or 2917 RPM based on fresh water. The manufacture can provide the actual test curve for your pump. Test curves are usually a little different than the catalog curve. Bear in mind the test is based on fresh water and head in feet or meters. You need to correct for density of oil.

You also need to correct the test curve for speed, so you will also need a motor test curve. At 60 Hertz most motors do not operate at 3500 or 2917 RPM at 50 Hertz. On a pump curve flow is a linear change, but the head produced changes at the square of the speed change. Actual expected flow then depends on the slope of pump curve for you to determine how much the actual operating speed will change the operating point.

Bottom line is we do not have enough information to tell you exactly why you are producing 5000 BPD. We don’t know the operating frequency, water flow rate, oil flow rate, intake pressure, wellhead pressure, copy of the pump test curve, copy of the motor test curve.

thanks guys for ur respons

the FVF OF 1.15 is a total values not oil only ,and the curve i have is from application engineer based on down hole data given by owners i wan to know is does fvf have a range like from (0.1 to 3) as an example,,,and if i calculated a new fvf difference from what i have in design how can i increase the bpd from 5000 to 5700 ,the pump is operating at 50 hz.

Downhole data given by the owners is always a mix of wishful thinking and unjustified optimism. Did you watch the video?

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. ùGalileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

The link above is live and it works. Posting it again would give you the same results. You can go to and pick the GasBusters tab and see if that works for you.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

I am missing something here? At the ESP you're pumping 5700 bpd of liquid as it exists at that pressure and temperature.

At the well head you're measuring 5000 bpd of liquid at that pressure and temperature (don't know what it is , but both will probably be lower than where the esp is). your volume fraction is quoted as 1.15 which turns your 5700 bbls into 4950 barrels plus a certain volume of gas which has evolved from the liquid on the way up the production tubing from the pump - pretty close to your 5000. What's your problem?

Increasing the back pressure at the well head will generate more liquid at the well head until you send it to a low pressure separator where the liquid volume will decrease as the gas flashes off, but you might get more liquids up the production tubing in total or you might not. If you have a VF which is higher then you will get benefit from choking the well back and running everything at a higher pressure, but at 1.15??

If you post more details then we might be able to see
things like pump inlet pressure, poump outlet pressure, bubble point / pressure/ wellhead pressure, length of production tubing from esp to wellhead, gas volume at wellhead / GOR...

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

Dear Sir
U mean that 5700bpd are 4995 due to fvf value? does this value change during operation and does it effect that mush in production,, if I wanna calculate it during operation what factors affecting it.
Second question, is there is any operation or ajob that can be done to decrease the presence of gases in well that may cause low production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back