Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

esp troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOSTAFA86

Electrical
Mar 10, 2012
EG
Dear gents
What could possibly cause a well producing 1400 BPD, to produce 700 BPD intake pressure inc and discharge pressure Dec,amp is constant.
Production engineering open chock more and increase frequency, nothing happened what cause that!?
Please advise

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you have pressure readings upstream and downstream of the choke? Depending on the technology there are a lot of ways for that to be the culprit. If I ever open a choke and upstream pressure does not change then my first conclusion is that for some reason I didn't increase flow (either malfunctioning choke or an upstream restriction smaller than the choke). Best thing to do in that case is take the choke towards shut until you see an increase in upstream pressure and a decrease in flow.

If upstream pressure does not change with opening the choke beyond where you did see an increase in pressure on closing, then I would suspect that there is a new restriction in the tubulars upstream of the choke. Scale is a common suspect. I'd run a slickline gauge tool before I did much else.

It is very hard to believe that current, suction pressure, and discharge pressure were unchanged with a 50% reduction in flow rate. ESP's can be counter intuitive, but not that counter intuitive. Mostly the ESP power vs flow curve only gets squirrely as you approach the maximum pump head or as flow drops towards zero. Dropping rate from 14,000 to 7,000 certainly takes you to a different place on the efficiency curve, but still within the operating envelope.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

Law is the common force organized to act as an obstacle of injustice Frédéric Bastiat

Sir
I closed chock and WHP raised from 150 psi to 500 psi in 13 minits, then they did a backwash.job with diesel and and.operator the pump, nothing changed, low rate with low discharge pressure and increase intake pressure, the sample is heavy oil and gases

Just a hint--pump troubleshooting requires access to all the information available and [often] then some more. If you are going to dribble information one bit at a time, I'm going to have to stop playing

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

Law is the common force organized to act as an obstacle of injustice Frédéric Bastiat

changed production from 1400 BPD to 700 BPD with esp is mustbe fundamental reason because it's directly to design pump perform (pump intake pressure, motor current, motor freq, pump setting depth and pump head / total stages), 1400 BPD to 700 BPD = workover, easier 700 BPD to 1400 BPD = improv choke and VSD pannel ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back