Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ESP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOSTAFA86

Electrical
Mar 10, 2012
EG
hi

i have a ques about ESP troubleshooting

if i have low flow how could i know that there is a hole in tubing,,and if i know does its location matter i mean if it is in the joints above pump or in the middle or last joints before well head.and i waana pdf about esp troubleshooting that may help me understanding more.thx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was almost fine with your post until the "i waana pdf ...". That seems to say "I am simply too lazy to look on my own, so please spoon feed me for free". I'll pass.

Just for your future edification, eng-tips.com does not have the limitations of either Twitter or texting. You can write in complete sentences, use appropriate capitalization, and minimize pointless abbreviations. Try to remember that most of the people you are asking for [free] consulting come from an age where a certain level of professionalism was expected from a professional.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

Law is the common force organized to act as an obstacle of injustice Frédéric Bastiat

Dear Eng/David

I respect your comments on me and sorry for my words,but i really searched alot and found nothing and that pdf or paper or any thing can be my reference just all. appreciate your help.

The location of the hole in the tubing won't matter, as you will POOH until you either visually find the hole, or you get to the ESP. I think this activity will require a service rig in any circumstance as you are limited in troubleshooting an ESP.

You should troubleshoot as you would any regular artificial lift, check tubing/casing pressures and verify they are not equalized. Run the well and check for pressure or a vacuum condition to indicate if fluid is falling downhole past the pump or via a hole above.

Just look at the current draw. I assume you recorded it when the pump and tubing were new and you were getting water to surface. If there is a hole in the tubing it will be lower, and the amount lower will give you an indication of where the hole is.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

Law is the common force organized to act as an obstacle of injustice Frédéric Bastiat

Dear gents

I was in a troubleshooting job on a well,they said the amp is.constant with no flow, and I found that from there reports that there was flow with the same amp but now no.
I operated the pump and the amp was constant not Dec for an hour but no flow found, I opened chock completely and I also took shut in pressure at well head and it was zero,so I assumed there was hole in tubbing but in the joints above discharge head.
And I was rigth, my point is what if it was in middle or at top joints what are the signs that make me assume the location.

A hole in the tubing will equalize tubing and casing pressure if it is big enough to get zero flow in the tubing. You say you have zero pressure on the tubing, didn't say what the pressure on the casing was.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

I really hope this is a water well you're operating if you don't have pressure gauges on the casing... You cannot realistically determine where the hole is unless you can determine the hole size. Assuming the pump is able to pump some head, even if that is not enough to flow out at the surface, a small hole at the bottom could leak the same as a bigger hole at the top of the liquid column. It could be the pump isn't pumping anything at all, but simply dead heading against a blockage in the tubing. Usually the only way to find out is to pull out the tubing and ESP. You might get lucky and guess the location, but there is no simple way to determine what you're trying to do with any real accuracy or more than a complete guess unless you have multiple pressure readings along the tubing, which is highly unlikely and proably too expensive in terms of the dubious benefit. If you have a leak you need to pull the tubing to repair it and there might be two, so fixing the first one you see might still not work.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back