Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Essential Variables 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanb1

Marine/Ocean
Nov 6, 2007
GB
I am looking to resource my welding consumables only according to AWSD1.1, it is not possible to change consumable manufacturers or brand without requalification, is this correct? It just seems a little odd to me that such restrictions are in place and essentially tying you to a particular manufacturer.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry, I didn't mean a code/standard requires me to use specific consumables, I simply meant that AWSD1.1 makes reference to any changes in consumables i.e. manufacturer or brand, then requalification is required?

AWS D1.1 does not require filler metal brand name qualification if the filler metal is classified under the AWS filler metal specifications listed in Table 4.5.

Thanks Stanweld. Does that also includes for CVN testing applications as table 4.6 clause 5 suggests otherwise? Once again your confirmation would be greatly appreciated.

Clause 5 of Table 4.6 only applies to FCAW filler metals. It is known that manufacturers' trade designations can vary extensively regarding impact properties; i.e., not all E71T-1 classified filler metals or other classified FCAW fillers are equal in this regard.

Unfortunately it is FCAW that our company uses in the main so I guess it does apply to me, it sure does seem like an awful lot of trouble just to buy somebody elses consumable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back