Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Establishing a Composite Material Repair and Bonding Facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesa

Sep 6, 2006
AU
Hi,
I'm an aeronautical engineer with years of experience in aircraft maintenance and management but only on older aircraft designs with minimal composite material content. I am investigating the options for providing a composite repair capability for an aircraft type that includes some composite components including composite flight contol surfaces. The most obvious options are to out-source the work, develop an internal repair capability devoted to the one particular aircraft type or develop an internal repair capability that can also provide composite repair services to external customers.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has been through this evaluation exercise. In particular, I'd be interested to hear their 'lessons learnt' ie the traps and tricks that they missed during their investigation. I'm also interested in tracking down sources of credible independent advice in the field of composite repair and bonded repairs.

Thanks for any tips or leads yo ucan provide....

Tesa

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Also try some of the autoclave manufacturers... there are several that have used/reconditioned units and will give you all kinds of help. Where are you looking at setting up shop? This is something I have been looking into as well as I used to work for a large repair station in Tulsa that specializes in composites. They pretty much have a monopoly going but a lot of customers are mad at them right now, so could be a great opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back