Estimate of optimum water content in compaction test

Status
Not open for further replies.

agus72indo

Geotechnical
Jan 22, 2002
SG
Dear all,
Would anyone inform me how I can estimate the optimum water content of a soil for compaction test from its plastic limit and liquid limit. I had ever done the test long time ago when I was in undergrad school. However, I only knew that the optimum water content was estimated from its LL and PL.
Thanks for your attention.

Regards
Agus

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

dear Agus
optimum water content can be predicted by LL ,and PI i will give you the relations tomorrow but if you have the fine content and clay content of your soil go to this address and download the ClayPredict software and predict the compaction curve by that it is based on 250 compaction tests and modelized by Neural Networks.
the Address: regards

the equations are as below for CL and CH soils based on studies of Blotz et al. in ASCE jou. of Geotech. and Geoenviron. Eng. Vol(124) no.9 pp907-912.
gama(max)=(2.27logLL-0.94)logE-0.16LL+17.02
Wopt=(12.39-12.21logLL)logE+.67LL+9.21
E is Compaction Energy:
Standard proctor:593
modified=2693

Dear Dr. Ashayeri,
Thanks so much for your guidance. I visited your website but I could not download the ClayPredict software you have.
Is there any possibility that I could get it from you.
Thanks for your attention and help.

Best regards
Agus S. Samingan
email: agus-setianto.samingan@bauing.uni-weimar.de

Dear Agus
sorry for the problem from the site please go to "save target as" option inorder to download the ClayPredict " Right click on the link for download the choose save target as"
sorry again, and i am not a Dr. my friend, take it easy and do not hasitate if you faced to anyother problems with ClayPredict

Thanks

Dear Ashayeri,
Thanks for the file. However, it still could not run as it requires database with extension cpd.
I have downloaded all databases that you provide in your website, nevertheless, they have extension dat not cpd.
Therefore, I cannot run the program.

I have a problem that I have to start my compaction tests as soon as possible. I have bentonite-sand mixture with LL approximately 70%. I also have pure bentonite with LL about 150%. Thus, I cannot use the method of the paper that you explained as it was made using soil data up to 70% of LL.

Please give me suggestion to predict my optimum water content.

Thanks for your attention and help.

Best regards,
Agus

Dear Agus
simply change the extension to *.cpd, your problem will be solved, but my models can not be used for pure bentonite.

best Wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back