Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

estimate or not to estimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaykay

Industrial
Jan 11, 2002
US
I am looking for an estimation program that will be able to calculate weight of steel parts and give a cost. We build sign structures which use several combinations of towers and trusses which in turn comprise of hundreds of angles, channels and beams. I am trying to use Microsoft Access but am beginning to wonder if that is the right program for this purpose. Any tip would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jaykay,

If your product is drawn in AutoCAD and 3D then just use the mass properties find its volume and multiply by the coefficient of the steel you are using. I used this for heat treatment trays for Ford. I rounded numbers and checked my finding with the actual weight after production. I was never off by more than ½ a pound. Keep in mind that these were large trays and some grinding could make a change to the weight, so I may have been more accurate if the grinders didn’t get over zealous.

If this doesn’t apply, then I would also suggest the Answerguy’s idea.

Hope I have helped in some way.
Have a nice day!
OhioIE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back