Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Estimating Site Work 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD4200

Computer
Mar 19, 2005
US
Hello, I'm new to this site and there seems to be a wealth of info here. I was wondering if there is any general rule of thumb for estimating grading/site prep, etc..? I know that every site is different and it depends on numerous factors, but is there any general rule? The reason I ask is that I have a 6.5 acre site that a local church is interested in buying from me if it were pad ready. I know there are many more factors that need to be taken into account, but suppose no dirt needed to be hauled in/out, no retaining wall, etc... Am I talking $300k, $1M,? Is there a general price/acre?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think there's any way to really answer that on this forum. Maybe someone else feels different, but if it was me, I'd just talk to a local site contractor and tell him what you'd need. He should be able to give you an idea of price. He'll also be familiar with local conditions.

If he says he needs some type of plan to go by, then talk to a local engineer. I know where I'm from it's pretty hard to go out and prepare a pad such as that without getting local approvals anyway.

I thought it may be too little information to be able to get a general answer. Oh well, Thanks for the response. I have had a few residential subdivision developers say to budget $225 to $250/LF of road for streets, grading, curbs, stormwater but I don't think that would apply to this situation.

There really is no "price per acre" because there are many deciding factors for what will determine the cost to bring a site to "pad ready" which in itself does not give enough information. For example, there are at least 3 possibilities for bringing water to the site. A well, tapping in to a water main at the site property line, and having to install a water main extension to the site. As you can imagine, the costs increase exponentially as you escalate through these options.

As far as earthwork goes:

These numbers are a few years old, but these were good prices at the time:

Strip and pile topsoil : $1.50/cu. yd.
Move cut/Fill : $1.00/cu. yd.
place/compact fill : $1.00/ cu. yd.
clearing trees : $1k/acre
grubbing: $1.5k/acre

These numbers don't do you much good unless you have some idea for existing and final contours or elevations

I would maybe add to your final number based on these estimates an increase of 10% due to inflation, fuel prices, etc.

A rule of thumb for commercial work is $3000-$3500 per parking space.

Of course, these numbers don't include sewer, water, erosion and sediment control measures, road work, power, permits, etc.

Depending on what part of the country you are in and the existing topography, site work can be one of the largest sources of project over runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back