Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Estimating the time for drilling boreholes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARK466

Geotechnical
Nov 29, 2011
CA
I am new to the geotechnical field. I am preparing a cost estimate for conduction geotechnical investigation.

Is there a general formula to calculate the time required to drill a borehole using Auger drill? E.g. How long would it take to drill a 10 meter hole using Auger drill?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

the best formula is to call your favorite driller and be prepared to tell him what you think the geology is on the site when he asks

A good geotech driller can average 100 feet a day, depending on the site/formations. I estimate time using 75 to 90 feet a day, depending on rig, driller, site access, etc.

This question is really dependent on the drill rig, soil conditions, and crew you have. But I have found that for shallow holes like this one, you can advance an auger system approximately 3m/hr allowing for sufficient sampling from the flights. Keep in mind that for drilling multiple holes requires moving the rig and the deeper you go, the longer it takes to pull up all the flights.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back