Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Estimating weight of structure 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkstoib

Automotive
Aug 5, 2003
US
We are trying to decide the most cost effective method to repair and stabilize the foundation of our 2 story lake home. What the structure weighs (for lifting purposes), or what the total weight of structure and contents (for new foundation purposes)is always an issue. For ballpark cost estimates, what is the best way to estimate these weights?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

House movers use a formula for plastered homes of 3-ton per room for every room in the house including closets (every door in the house) or the dead load material wieght (in the building code). Typically one can determine how much a house weighs by the pressure that their pump for their jacks is pushing during a lift.

A site for actual material weight is:

Before you do any repair work, please hire a competent geotechnical engineer to evaluate the settlement and its causes. A geotechnical engineer to take boring samples of the soil layer beneath your slab/house. Once the source or reason for settling is discovered, corrective action can be developed by a professional engineer. There are many techniques available to stop the settlement and to control/prevent future settlement. Some of these techniques are:

1. Use of needle type piles
2. Under pinning using helical type anchors
3. Injecting cement/rout under the slab
4. Injecting urethane type material that will expand, fill voids

Have an engineer calculate them based on actual construction materials. Anyone skilled in doing the sums can calculate the weights, but an engineer is likely better skilled at determining the important points where the weights are concentrated. He can interface with the contractor and can assume a degree of responsibility.

Thank you for the information and the weight reference link. We have contacted a couple of geotechnical engineers about the core samples. Unfortunately, I am only one third owner of the property and the only engineer. The cost of analysis turned the other two owners off. There are similar structures on either side not 10 feet away that do not exhibit the same settling we have. I believe that the original foundation was of size and depth for a smaller home (there has been quite a bit of remodeling). Thanks agian for the help.

[soapbox]
Wow. Everything rests on the foundation, and the house is suffering damage - but you three won't invest a few thousand dollars to find out what's wrong? And how to fix it properly? You'll trust someone who may have a high school diploma to fix a major investment - blind? Rather than hire an expert - who probably has 6 or more years of education and a lot of practical experience?

That's like going to a shoe store to buy a new pair of sneakers because your feet are in excruciating pain - rather than see a podiatrist. Sheesh.

You seem to think the foundation system is overloaded. What if you're wrong? What if the problem cannot be fixed by the cheapest method? (Lake shorelines are notorious for having hidden features that play hell on foundations. Features than can be no wider than 20 feet.) And if you can't afford to fix it right the first time, how will you afford fixing it twice?

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 by [blue]VPL[/blue] for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Focht has a good point. Who knows what is wrong, or what the repair would cost. What happens if the house settles more causing more damage? Maybe you could cut your losses and sell out now...

Pay him now or pay him later. Many foundation problems get worse with time. Few get better by there self. Watch the cracks for sign of additional movement.

Resently i repaired a home with foundtion settlement. The Geo fee was $600.

Many states now have disclosure Laws requiring setting issues being disclosed before sale.

absolutely!
I am buying a house right now and disclosure is required. In fact, the house is in a known area of expansive soils. The previous owner disclosed that a crack had occurred at one time in the slab and was repaired. I am requiring that the backyard be re-graded to direct water away from the foundation as it appears that this could introduce water under the foundation. If it wasn't for the disclosure laws, I would likely have never known this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back