Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Estimation of approximate scaffolding requirement in CuM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

finiteinjustice123

Mechanical
May 21, 2007
IN
We want to carryout out NDT inspection viz. UTG, visual of all piping & equipment in our plant. For that we need to estimate the approx. quantity of scaffolding that shall be required.

One way is to calculate the plant floor area & multiply it by 1.5. However it is a very crude method & tends to give very high value.

What do i do. Kindly help. Any kind of advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance

"jmd"

"jmd"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well friends

What i am looking for is thumb rules, if there are any for quick estimation of the scaffolding quantity.

I would like to know about general practice followed elsewhere like in other refineries, petrochemical or fertilizer plants

"jmd"

OK.

Do this. Get a plan view of the plant areas that will need 100% scaffolding. Get the section (or elevation) views of the plant.
On a paper copy of the plan view dwg's, mark the elevation of the highest elevation of each pipe run and each individual pipe that needs inspection.

You now have the total area of the plant pipes, and heights of the pipes in each area you are interested in.

Multiply for volume for each different height. With this total volume, call for bids for the scaffolding from at least 4x different companies. Go over the requirements from each of the 4x scaffolding companies, and take the lowest bid. Add a requirement to cover the outage from start-to-stop, with a crew on-site full time for mods and changes. Allow incentive payments for early finish, early start, better performance.

Be aware that you can often begin scaffolding before the outage start date, and can start up before all of the scaffolding is complete.

Do NOT ask for bids based only on the total volume of scaffolding!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back