Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Estimation of Center of gravity of a CRANKSHAFT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,
I have a small project namley to calculate the centroid of a crankshaft so that i can estimate the real mass of counter weight in the shaft.Do any body have an idea about how to handle this problem.
Definitly i know i will get some clues from these great forum.

i would be very greatful to recieve some tips from you because i want to estimate first and then i run the same data in a program and then compara my result.
Cu
martino6000

It isn't cg that is important, but mass at a radius, which controls rotating and reciprocating balance, and then the location of masses along the crankshaft which controls moment balance.

More detailed information is found in engineering-oriented engine books, and many dynamics of machinery books. A university library is a good place if you have one nearby.

On a single cylinder engine yes but with multiples you would need to be able to assign mass to the individual pins and webs, difficult on a straight six?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back