Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Estimation of Pre-Consolidation Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddevils

Geotechnical
May 29, 2013
US
All,

I am doing some settlement analysis and trying to calculate the preconsolidation pressure (to check if the soil is over consolidated). I found typical pre-consolidation margin values in Coduto's book, however unable to get some kind of formulas to estimate it.

I came through google and unable to find the empirical co-relation between preconsolidation pressure with other soil parameters. But, unable to do so. If you guys have any idea, can you please share it?

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the refresh of that chart, Oldestguy. Had forgotten it was there. the NAVAC manuals are a great resource.

Another way to estimate the preconsolidation pressure if you have a handle on your undrained shear strength is to use the relationship, effective O/B pressure = Undrained shear strength divided by 0.22 to 0.25 . . . many use 0.23 (see Terzaghi, Peck and Mesri. Knowing the this effective O/B pressure and your existing effective O/B pressure, you can determine the overconsolidation ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back