Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Estimation of VOC peak emissions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrStout

Civil/Environmental
Mar 12, 2000
DE
Due to a new European (and German) environmental regulation we have to reduce the VOC emissions of our plant. The maim emission source is the paintshop. To find a suitable solution I have to estimate the VOC peak emission. I can calculate the annual average emission on the basis of consumption of paint and solvents, but is there a reliable way to estimate the peak emission from the annual average emission?

Thanks [cheers]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MrStout:

I think trtying to find actual VOC emissions would be difficult to determine as you probably noticed. I usually look at that average number you calculated then look to plant production. Determine the average plant production and the max plant production and get the multiplier and use it to multiply you average VOC. It is a clear cut way to do it and you can justify how you arrived at the number for your regulating agencies. I would assume your process to produce the same thing all year. If there is a time when you make something different, and it produces higher VOC's then average it over the time you make it, get the multiplier, and use it to elevate the average VOC. I have been successful here in the States with using this approach with our EPA.

Take care.

BobPE

Mr.Stout, If you are estimating in order to get into the ball park, the following method will work, if your production rate was on the low side when you calculated your average emissions, then the max. emissions will be approx. 40% higher than this value. If the production rate was at a normal level when the avg. was calc., then the max. emissions will be approx. 20% higher than the average. If the production rate was at maximum, then figure max. emissions will be about 10% higher than the avg.. This 10% on max. takes into account rate improvements that may occur over time. In addition this pushes the allowable emissions ceiling out a little bit in order to allow for increased production without having to go back to the regulating agency for a revision to the emissions permit.

Hope this helps.
saxon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back