Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ETABS API (python)-Assigning Frame Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandyPrayogo

Civil/Environmental
May 20, 2022
TW
Hi, I have been experimenting with optimizing truss using metaheuristic algorithm using python.
I have been able to open ETABS, assign all frame member with the available option using and index, running the model, and extracting the result.
However, I encountered some unintended result. When I tried to assign for example:
Python:
# the combination of frame that will be assign to each member (0-15)
x=np.array([3, 2, 3, 2, 1, 6, 2, 1, 2, 6, 1, 3, 2, 1, 5, 6, 1, 3, 1, 5, 1, 15])
The ETABS will result in all member using the option index 15 (the last one).
wrong_output_dawzme.png

I suspect, it might be because I use:
Python:
sapModel.DesignSteel.SetDesignSection(framename,section_type,False,0)
it assign all member instead of targeted member, the function syntax is shown here:
syntax_hoa4aw.png

I'm not sure about the last input to the function, since the CSI API does not provide python example.

I attached my model with a simple python code to show my problem. I would be very grateful if somebody could help me fix this problem
Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The last option is optional if you check the VB syntax. Generally I apply only to the object, this would be the frame name.

Python:
SapModel.DesignSteel.SetDesignSection(framename,section_type,False,0); #for object or
SapModel.DesignSteel.SetDesignSection(framename,section_type,False); #for object
SapModel.DesignSteel.SetDesignSection(groupname,section_type,False,1); #for group
SapModel.DesignSteel.SetDesignSection(anyname,section_type,False,2); #for selected objects

I have used 0 and every beam still changes as seen from my code.
Maybe I'm supposed to use enumeration of somekind (?)
Anyway it does not change the outcome using int (0,1,2).

I have made some new observation.
If I used SetDesignSection(framename,section_type,False,0) in succession (e.g. in a loop)
it always changed all the framename that have been changed before.
so if I change beam 82,83,84. This three beam will follow the frame that 84 used.
I don't know why does this happen.
If I run the model in between the SetDesignSection, it does not happen.

I would be grateful if there is another way to circumvent this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back