Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ETABs Spandrel loads at the corners of core boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricred

Structural
Feb 22, 2022
AU
Hi all, see attached, any idea why the spandrel loads at the corners of the core box differ? is it slab contribution? I wouldnt care if its minimal but there's a significant difference at one corner and I have no idea why. Is there a modifier to adopt to remove this contribution? Also on one elevation the load is missing, any idea what that could be? The core is symmetrical so doesnt make sense to me. Let me know if you any additional information. Thanks so much

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0f6ab21d-d99c-4d7b-b510-8a95321e54d0&file=Spandrel_core_loads.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The value is almost never exactly the same, but it should be fairly close.
Could be meshing issue, i.e. the two elevations being meshed differently and joints locations not matching. Overall not an issue but could give wrong results locally.
Also, you should look at max and min results, not just max, as local axes of the shell may influence results (unless it's a response spectrum case where everything is positive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back