Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ETABS v17 - No More RAM Concept Floor Meshes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trenno

Structural
Feb 5, 2014
AU
Have CSI finally realised their meshing capabilities were sub par? Very keen to test this out. I assume they've replicated the SAP mesher into ETABS.

[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.csiamerica.com/products/etabs/releases
[/url]
etabs_qqwsxj.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I hope so! Color me excited.

As you mentioned, CSI's meshing options have always felt like the weakest point of the programs features. I always have to end up hand meshing items in CSI programs, as the auto mesh options always seem terrible/crashes completely.

After a brief test of the new version, I'm actually quite impressed with this new meshing capability.

The default option is such that the mesh automatically updates for each floor when you have the model unlocked and move a column or introduce an opening.

Haven't tried it on a big model, but the speed seems to be pretty sharp.

mesh_test_jc72x3.jpg

I haven't totally been impressed by it. It doesn't bake the mesh into the FE model. To be honest I have tried to extract point results output from the automesh. This can be a bit problematic.

Hello
Am currently modelling a mosque, after the modeling and defining and assigning all the requirements and checking the model, I tried to run the analysis it started and after a while it stopped without any message, when I checked the details it says analyzing. And it remains in this state without any prompt for so long.
I tried modelling a small structure like a portal, I get same thing, what could be wrong? I am using Etabs 16.2.1
Please this is urgent.

ValueEngineeredMind

You should probably have started a new thread, but I'll have a go at helping you.

When this happens, it's usually a critical fault with your model. Open the model log - surely it will state the reason why the program abandoned the analysis.

Check your model is restrained with the appropriate supports. Check that things are actually connected together. Check you've actually set some load cases to run.

I must say, I may have got my hopes up too soon. From what I understand the user isn't able to specify the mesh element size.

It's the only thread I found that has ETABS 17 in its topic so I just say it here.
I had a model in version 16.2 and it needed some changes. I did the changes in ETABS 17 but it shows no analysis results what so ever. Even dough the model has no warning and no negative stiffness and Last Analysis Run Log says "analysis complete". In fact I tried many other models which had no problem running in older versions and still no results. "status" for all of the load cases in "Set Load Cases To Run" is "NotRun" and I set all of them to run. It seems like I'm making some obvious mistake somewhere! I'll be grateful if someone can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back