Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ETAP PowerStation Sequence of Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

croudk

Electrical
Oct 23, 2001
US
All right everyone, here's a pretty focused question. Has anyone out there had much experience with the new Sequence of Operations module in ETAP PowerStation? This module is supposed to allow you to simulate a fault (3-phase or line-to-ground) anywhere in a system model and it will evaluate and report device clearing times in sequence. I played with it a bit when it first came out, but I wanted to see if anyone else has any experience with it - good or bad. My experience with it was not real positive, but the system I tried it on had a very complicated protection scheme. I am getting ready to analyze a loop system and I am trying to decide if I should try ETAP's Sequence of Operations or not.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I saw a report that was produced with this tool and it did not match up too well with what I came up using traditional TCC evaluation. The report I saw didn't really provide me enough information to be able to figure out why it was getting different results.

It's a nice idea and moves into the realm of fault simulation. But it's important to be able to verify the results somehow.

Seems like it could be helpful for a looped system - it's difficult to use TCCs to evaluate and display results for loops since the relays often see very different of fault current for any one fault.

Thanks. That was my take on it also. The clearing times that were reported seemed almost arbitrary when evaluated manually using TCCs and breaker opening times. I wasn't sure if the problem was arising simply because I had a system with Schweitzer multifunction relays and several levels of differential protection. But it sounds like it may be a more common problem. Hopefully I'll get some more replies to compare with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back